|Link||Download from Phobus's site|
Virus is basically a whole new game, being made within the ZDoom engine (although it still requires the Doom2 IWAD to run). Currently on the Episode 1 "Shareware Release", Virus is both a finished product and a WIP.
The aim of the game is to fly through the maps (either with or without a friend), destroying all opposition and getting to the end - much the same as Doom, just flying, and in a totally different world. The maps are quite small, but fairly non-linear, with plenty of secrets and goodies to find. They are also made with speed running in mind, and have UV "fly through" runs as PAR times (15 seconds for MAP01, for instance). Two of the maps (MAP06 and MAP07) were made by Guest Mappers - Mik57 and hnsolo77 respectively.
The ZDoom Wars faction is complete, and is available in the respective thread on the ZDoom Forums. Following the link here will lead to the download links for the entire ZDoom Wars project.
- 10 playable maps, 1 ending map and a skip map
- "Whole new game" style
- New player class, new weapons, new monsters, new music (from vgmusic.com), new sounds (sourced from Marine Assault and Zen Dynamics)
- Background text file in zip
- High use of ZDoom features
- Small-medium maps packed with action, secrets and colour
Suitable for single play and 2 player co-op.
Doom Builder, XWE, MSPaint and Sound Recorder
More info can be found on Phobus' webpage for Virus, linked below.