- AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format)
- FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) †
- MP2 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2)
- MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3)
- Ogg Vorbis †
- RAW (Raw audio)
- WAV (Waveform Audio File Format)
†: These formats support using audio loops.
In addition, ZDoom supports additional formats not directly supported by OpenAL. These include:
- DMX — The Doom engine's native sound format.
- VOC — format used by many old games.
- Blood SFX — format used by Blood, using a raw PCM lump and an associated but separate header lump, only supported in RFF archives.
Furthermore, ZDoom supports several music formats only for music playback.
ZDoom does not support emulating the PC speaker sound format, however.