From ZDoom Wiki
- DLS, or Downloadable Sounds, the standard backed by the MIDI Manufacturers Association. The TiMidity++ synthesizer can use them.
- SF2, developed by Creative. The TiMidity++ and FluidSynth synthesizers use them.
- PAT, or instrument patches. (Technically not a sound font since they are separate files.) The TiMidity++ synthesizer uses them.
The choice of a sound font determines the quality of the MIDI playback.
- - How to create a custom menu to quickly change which sound font to use.
- software synthesizer and sound fonts. - discussion on everyone's favorite choice of
- - a similar, and larger, thread to the previous
- - another such thread
- - presenting a sound font created with Doom and other classic games in mind
- - might contain useful troubleshooting advice if you have the same problem as the thread starter
- SKArk - a utility to uncompress .sfark files into .sf2 files
- SFPack - a utility to uncompress .sfpack files into .sf2 files
- FluidSynth soundfont page - contains many useful links
- EAWPats at Doomworld/idgames - can be used with TiMidity++ to emulate a Gravis Ultrasound
- 8MBGM and 8MBGSFX Gravis Patch Set v1.3 at Doomworld/idgames - another set of GUS-emulating patches
- GUS Patches at Doomworld/idgames - the actual deal, along with a few extras
- Debian Fluid R3 package page - once extracted from the ".orig.tar.gz" archive, the SF2 files can be used on any system, not just on Debian