ZDoom32 is a fork of the ZDoom source port by drfrag. It is based off ZDoom 2.8.1 and the last developmental revision of ZDoom after its last official release, version 2.9pre. It focuses on enhancing the latest ZDoom codebase with new unique features, mostly backported from LZDoom and QZDoom. It also includes a OpenGL renderer courtesy of GZDoom 1.9.1 whilst improving the codebase for lower end computers.
Starting from version 2.8.2 GL, an OpenGL renderer was added, courtesy of GZDoom 1.9.1. Most of the releases focus on improving performance of the software renderer and the OpenGL renderer whilst maintaining compatibility with newer mods, such as Brutal Doom. It also adds a truecolor renderer from dpJudas.
After two years of inactivity, ZDoom 2.8.6 was released on July 9, 2021. It added a new skill level and an IWAD selection picker. There are two versions: One with OpenGL and one without, on top of removing SSE2 and assembly optimizations, allowing it to still run on Windows 98.
- All features from ZDoom 2.8.1 and GZDoom 1.9.1 (ACS, etc)
- OpenGL 2.0 based renderer
- Truecolor renderer by dpJudas. This is a older renderer than the one that got included in the QZDoom port
- Compiled with Pentium II architecture optimizations
- Sprite and wall distance culling to improve performance
- Culling options for the OpenGL renderer to increase performance
- Low detail modes (from ZDoom LE) (2x2, 3x2, 4x4)
- Options to switch between Direct3D and DirectDraw rendering (Worldsim, backend)
- Modernized keyboard layout
- Optimized executable for SSE2 instructions. This requires a Pentium 4 or Pentium M processor
- Alternative executable without additional SSE2 and assembly instructions and with OpenGL support called ZDOOM32_N.EXE
- Numerous fixes for mods, such as Brutal Doom
- Various other optimizations from GZDoom, QZDoom, LZDoom, Eternity
- ZDoom32 requires the following: Pentium II 233, 32 MB RAM, 1 MB SVGA card and Windows 98. For OpenGL mode a graphics card with GL 2.0 support is required.
- ZDoom32 2.8.6 binaries, hosted by GitHub
- ZDoom32 2.8.5c binaries, hosted by GitHub
- ZDoom32 2.8.5b binaries, hosted by GitHub
- ZDoom32 2.8.5b binaries, alternative location
- ZDoom32 2.8.5a binaries, hosted by GitHub
- ZDoom32 2.8.4t binaries, non-OpenGL version, hosted by GitHub
- ZDoom 2.8.4a binaries, hosted by GitHub