Doomsday is a source port maintained by Jaakko Keränen and Daniel Swanson. It started as a Hexen port, jHexen, but evolved to be a general Doom engine port. Contrarily to the approach taken by ZDoom, Vavoom and the Eternity Engine, Doomsday's architecture is based on a core program containing all the common code (Doomsday itself) with "plugins" (jDoom, jHeretic, jHexen, with more in development) implementing each supported games and providing game-specific code. Therefore, it is not possible to, for example, use Hexen features in Doom.
Doomsday-like OpenGL features include:
- The "sky dome" used to render normal sky textures.
- The formula for adjusting brightness, contrast and gamma in OpenGL rendering.
- Glowing flats.
- MD2 support, and a few special effects for MD2, such as weapon pickup rotation.
- Support for Doomsday's hires texture packs, see below.
Doomsday texture pack
These are presented as PK3 files, however the directory tree is organized differently from ZDoom's standard. The following directories are checked:
- Doom (all versions)
- Additional directories depending on Doom game:
- Doom (shareware, registered or Ultimate)
- Doom 2: Hell on Earth
- Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment
- Final Doom: TNT - Evilution
- Heretic (all versions)
- Hexen (all versions)
- Strife (all versions)
- Chex Quest (all versions)