Caverns of Darkness
|Caverns of Darkness|
|Author||The Chaos Crew|
|Link||Caverns of Darkness at Doomworld/idgames|
CoD compatibility patch at Doomworld/idgames
Caverns of Darkness is a mod originally created for a custom version of the Eternity Engine, entitled "COD Engine", included in the archive. Because it uses non-standard effects, Caverns of Darkness cannot be played in most source ports. However, Graf Zahl created a compatibility patch that allows to play this mod in ZDoom.
The "COD Engine" source code was released on May 4, 2002 by Christopher Lutz. Despite this, the source code was long considered lost, until it was re-released on May 26, 2019 by Joel Murdoch, both then part of the Eternity team.
How to play this mod in ZDoom
- Download both the mod (cc_cod.zip) and the compatibility patch (cod_zd.zip) from the /idgames archives.
- Extract cod-zd.pk3 from cod_zd.zip.
- Extract COD.WAD and CODLEV.WAD from cc_cod.zip.
- Open cod-zd.pk3 with an archiver, then drag and drop COD.WAD and CODLEV.WAD inside.
- You can now play cod-zd.pk3 as if it were a normal ZDoom mod.
- The Chaos Crew Homepage (no longer maintained)
- Original COD Engine source code release entry (May 4th, 2002), hosted by Doomworld
- COD Engine re-released source code, by Joel Murdoch