From ZDoom Wiki
Setting up TiMidity++
TiMidity++ is an external program, so setting it up is a bit more complicated than for the other MIDI devices.
- First, you will need to download and extract it in an appropriate directory, for example a timidity/ subdirectory in your ZDoom installation.
- Then, edit the timidity.cfg file which is in the directory where you installed TiMidity for ZDoom. You need to tell it where to find your sound font. Two options are possible:
- An actual soundfont: use two lines, first dir <path-to-soundfont>, then soundfont <soundfont-file>
- A collection of patches: use two lines, first dir <path-to-patches>, then source <patch-config-file-name.cfg>
- Finally, ZDoom needs to be told where TiMidity can be found. Use the timidity_exe console variable to point to the TiMidity for ZDoom binary.
Once that is done, set TiMidity++ as the MIDI device in the sound options menu.
Advantages and drawbacks
- TiMidity++ can load more types of sound font formats than the other synthesizers offered by ZDoom
- Although it ignores certain features of the SF2 format and load them as if they were a collection of GUS patches, it is more resistant to errors than FluidSynth
- It uses relatively little CPU power
- Since it requires an external program with its own configuration file, the sound font used cannot be changed in-game with a console variable.