Advanced sound options
From ZDoom Wiki
- Sample rate (Default/4000 Hz/8000 Hz/11025 Hz/22050 Hz/32000 Hz/44100 Hz/48000 Hz)
- Chooses which sample rate to use. The default uses the system's default sample rate.
- Buffer size (Default/64 samples/128 samples/256 samples/512 samples/1024 samples/2048 samples/4096 samples)
- Defines how many samples are buffered. If the sample rate is below 44100 Hz, long sound latencies may happen unless the buffer size is decreased. The default size corresponds to 1024 samples.
- Buffer count (2—12 by 1 increments)
- Defines how many buffers are used. The default number corresponds to 4.
- Number of emulated OPL chips (1—8 by 1 increments) (New from )
- This allows to choose the number of virtual OPL chips used in the OPL emulator when rendering MIDI songs. (Raw OPL is still limited to two chips at most.) Using only one chip can make emulation up to twice as fast, but it is not really enough to play Doom's music, and most old sound cards had either two OPL2 chips or one OPL3 chip (which acts like two OPL2 chips).
- Full MIDI stero panning (On/Off) (New from )
- The OPL emulators in ZDoom support all 127 panning positions allowed by the MIDI standard. However, actual OPL chips only supported mono (OPL2) or had stereo limited to three panning positions (OPL3). This option allows to enable or disable full stereo panning when using OPL emulation.
- OPL Emulator Core (MAME OPL2/DOSBox OPL3/Java OPL3) (New from )
- This allows to choose which OPL emulator core to use. The MAME core corresponds to a (OPL2), while the DOSBox and Java cores correspond to (OPL3). The Java core provides the best emulation quality, but is also the most resource-hungry.
- MIDI voices (16—256 by 4 increments)
- Emulate TiMidity (On/Off)
- Whether the internal TiMidity should work in GUS emulation (by default) or remain closer to TiMidity and TiMidity++.
- Read DMXGUS lumps (On/Off)
- GUS memory size (Unlimited/256K/512K/768K/1024K)
- Which level of patch remapping should be used. If you want to use patch remapping, be warned that generally, only the 1024K hardware was considered.