[Reds Over World] ROWAn - A Reds Over World Addon

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
WojtTheDoomer2K

Re: [Reds Over World] ROWAn - A Reds Over World Addon

Post by WojtTheDoomer2K »

ZikShadow wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:58 am It would be a good idea to do for doors that are visible through cameras, adding something to make them look distinct that players can recall better where the aforementioned unlocked doors were after the player uses the switch. A poster next to them, a distinct statue, something that's easily recognizable on a low resolution screen.

On that note, would probably be a good idea to move the cameras to areas that the players have previously been before instead of ones that they haven't. Recalled one camera in E6M1 that was pointing at a corridor that the player hasn't seen before, which kinda defeats the purpose of the cameras if they're meant to tell the player where to go next.
Hm, which doors in particular you think should be visible on cameras placed potentially next to switches that open them?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Hmm, I'd have to replay the entire mod again to get a comprehensive list, but it's really cases like these that I'm particularly against.
Here's an example from E1M4. The player so far has only seen the former, but the camera that's next to the switch is inside of the door. How can players tell that this particular door is what opened when they haven't seen what the other side looks like?

Even outside of the gameplay design argument, security areas that have remote access would probably have the camera on the outside so they can see who's trying to get in before allowing them through.

Don't mind the HUD element on the top left, I was running Gun Bonsai.

skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

ZikShadow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:30 pm I believe I replaced Hannibal's, the first boss you meet in E3M3, the Chinese lines, American lines (both infantry and gasmasked ones), the Arabic lines, the player (to differentiate it from BoA's), and the STALKER bandit lines used for some of the Soviet soldiers. I would like to have more native language speeches instead of accented English (or shared lines in general) for enemies in other countries like the Romanians, Yugoslavians, North Koreans, and so on, but I currently do not possess the assets for such an endeavor.

Crysis has North Korean voicelines you can get (Fun Fact: Korean speaking enemies are only on the highest difficulty)
WojtTheDoomer2K

Post by WojtTheDoomer2K »

skyrish10 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:52 am
ZikShadow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:30 pm I believe I replaced Hannibal's, the first boss you meet in E3M3, the Chinese lines, American lines (both infantry and gasmasked ones), the Arabic lines, the player (to differentiate it from BoA's), and the STALKER bandit lines used for some of the Soviet soldiers. I would like to have more native language speeches instead of accented English (or shared lines in general) for enemies in other countries like the Romanians, Yugoslavians, North Koreans, and so on, but I currently do not possess the assets for such an endeavor.

Crysis has North Korean voicelines you can get (Fun Fact: Korean speaking enemies are only on the highest difficulty)
They were my first idea, but I can't find them anywhere online.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Was thinking of playing ROWAn with regular ol' Doom 2 mapsets, so I went and cobbled up some wirejammers. Only works with ROWAn loaded due to the extra code being particularly specific, like redefining the Mounted PKM to not need map ACS-specific scripts. You're not playing vanilla ROW's stuff with these. Works quite nicely to extend the playtime a bit.

Wirejammers!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”