Want to ballpark a budget for various commissions

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RedDragonCats17

Post by RedDragonCats17 »

This isn't a request to commission (yet), but a collaboration to make a budget for my Modernized mod.

Things I wish to commission:
Sprites for the following
Pickup items

Effects

Moves for Doom's monsters
Voxels for the following
Weapons

Pickup items

Anyone's willing to participate, please show me your work. If you have predetermined prices, show them as well. If not, if you have Discord, that would be my personal choice for communication. Otherwise PMs work too.
Last edited by RedDragonCats17 on Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedDragonCats17

Here's an actual list of things I need prices on:

Zombieman: Thrust kick, rifle stock strike

Shotgunner: Same as the Zombieman

Cacodemon: Puff up as if an explosion went off in his mouth

Vanilla Hell Knight: Hulk Smash jumping and ground variation, and back fist

Vanilla Baron of Hell: Hammer Fist to ground

Arch Vile: Hellion-based death animation

CyberDemon: Improved stomp sprites. I don't like the Brutal Doom ones

Spider Mastermind: Unused spell attack in-between and the 7 other angles

Smaller version of vanilla explosion

Vanilla style fire particles and embers for Lost Soul and torches, try using Power Slave as a reference.

Chaingun muzzle flashes without the barrel but full. My idea is to mirror the muzzle flash then fill the gap in-between

Pickup sprite for Soul of the Dammed. It's a flaming red skull. I recently came up with the idea of the soul manifesting, much like Power Slave.

Inventory icon for Soul of the Dammed.

Projectile sprites for Unmaker alt fire: What's in my head is a chomping skull with flames around it, but it is more based off of Power Slave's snake projectiles. Try to keep the size of the projectiles the same as all of Doom’s other projectiles.

Thrown grenade sprites, vanilla Doom styled, and also pickup sprites. This time I don't want to use Power Slave due to the inconsistency of the size.

Shrapnel sprites

Rubble sprites

Voxels for the following weapons: SMG, Assault Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Unmaker, Dark Claw, Heart of Lothar, and Hand Grenade

Voxels for the Soul of the Damned

Now as I said, this is a request to allocate a budget, not a actual commission request. So it may be a while before I can actually send you some money.
Last edited by RedDragonCats17 on Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RedDragonCats17

Re: Want to ballpark a budget for various commissions

Hello again. I have another set of sprites for my Modernized mod, a "Gray Monsters" mod that I have in docs, and a edit for Embers of Armageddon Eternal.

A thrust kick for the Chaingunner

Edits of the following monsters Realm667 monsters: Shadow, Zombie Rottweiler, Caco-Lich, Archon of Hell, Diabolist, Terminator, and Arachnorb Queen.

The Shadow is going to have a more skull-like head with glowing red eyes and spikes on his shoulders. His body will also have more distinctive features and have visible claws on its hands and feet. I'm also thinking about giving it a one-handed fireball throw to go along with its two-handed one. It's also going to have red blood as opposed to black.

The Archone of Hell is going to have Baron of Hell hands and hooves along with a glowing orange hole in its chest and a spiky segmented tail.

The only other monsters I'm having trouble thinking about edits are the Diablolist, the Caco-Lich, and the Terminator. But I'll think of something even while we do get this going.

Edits or Amuscaria's Hellforged Arachnotron and Mancubus.

Sprites for a stealth fighter based off of Metal Gear Solid's Cyborg Ninjas. I want sprites that look great with their anatomy and some of their poses, so Doom’s vanilla sprites are not going to cut it.

Edits of Doom Unbroken's weapons with Sonic.Ko's Doom Eternal hands.

Climbing sprites with Sonic.Ko's Doom Eternal hands.
Last edited by RedDragonCats17 on Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RedDragonCats17

I got another set of monsters to ballpark prices for.

Soldiers wearing steelpot helmets and FM12 gas masks with glowing red eyes. They will use Doomguy sprites for them along with some edits. I did enclose their sprites in a zip file, I will show them if I do get a better internet connection. Their armor is all charcoal black. There are 2 varieties: One wielding an AR-15 with a scope, and one wielding a TS-12 auto shotgun will a ballistic shield. I want fo use these sprites for the rifle soldier: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2406814
https://static.doomworld.com/monthly_20 ... 5466aa.png

Soldiers inspired by Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade. These guys will use the Chaingunner sprites from Brutal Doom.

I also have some weapon animations I want to commission. It's a vanilla style charging animation for the BFG. What I'm thinking is that there is a meter in the BFG's design that doesn't change the design much, and energy is eventually focused on the BFG's muzzle before it fires. The muzzle also glows when it reaches its energy focus phase, and it flashes when it fires. Perkristian's smooth BFG is the base.

Here's the glow I want to use for the muzzle: [imgur]https://i.imgur.com/jJ9xdqK[/imgur]

I would also like a price for a muzzle flash for DrPyspy's Unmaker.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/5nDGlMa[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/doYnXNE[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/aPVMVzp[/imgur]
Last edited by RedDragonCats17 on Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

What is this about?
- You want to pay for sprites you have found?
- You want to enlist people to create assets for your mod?

For the first, you don't actually have to, simply crediting the asset is usually enough. But please read what the author themselves state over their asset. Most allow re-usage.
For the second, you may want to provide examples of your own efforts first. If all you have is an idea, you will very likely find no participants for this because you have nothing to showcase this is an idea worth investing into.
RedDragonCats17

Redneckerz wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:47 am What is this about?

For the first, you don't actually have to, simply crediting the asset is usually enough. But please read what the author themselves state over their asset. Most allow re-usage.
For the second, you may want to provide examples of your own efforts first. If all you have is an idea, you will very likely find no participants for this because you have nothing to showcase this is an idea worth investing into.
It's the latter. I want to commission people to create assets for my mods. The problem is that I don't have any funds, so currently I'm trying to allocate prices for said assets. You are right about one thing, though. All I have are mere ideas, but I will find someone who is willing to work with me on this. They are out there, I just need to find the correct artist.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

RedDragonCats17 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:03 am

It's the latter. I want to commission people to create assets for my mods. The problem is that I don't have any funds, so currently I'm trying to allocate prices for said assets. You are right about one thing, though. All I have are mere ideas, but I will find someone who is willing to work with me on this. They are out there, I just need to find the correct artist.
Well you know my answer to this :) Because i can tell you right now that most people who have an idea for something but have nothing to show for it make very little chance of making their idea come to life. I am sorry but that's just how it is. At that stage, only extreme perserverance may yield a result and thats an outlier.

You really are ought to have something to show for yourself in order to present an idea. Or even better, why aren't you learning to make your idea turn reality yourself? What's holding you back?
RedDragonCats17

Redneckerz wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:40 am
RedDragonCats17 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:03 am

Well you know my answer to this :) Because i can tell you right now that most people who have an idea for something but have nothing to show for it make very little chance of making their idea come to life. I am sorry but that's just how it is. At that stage, only extreme perserverance may yield a result and thats an outlier.

You really are ought to have something to show for yourself in order to present an idea. Or even better, why aren't you learning to make your idea turn reality yourself? What's holding you back?
It's my lack of patience to learn how to draw and my lack of time to even draw. When I want something drawn, I want to see it immediately, and I also want the quality to be top notch while also economical, so I don't have the patience to learn or even invest time in learning how to draw in Doom’s vanilla art style, which is rich coming from someone who is capable of learning how to code and learn how graphics are made. Also, I'm living on my own and I'm working full time. Even if I wanted to learn, I'm unable to invest time into doing so.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

RedDragonCats17 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:00 pm It's my lack of patience to learn how to draw and my lack of time to even draw. When I want something drawn, I want to see it immediately, and I also want the quality to be top notch while also economical, so I don't have the patience to learn or even invest time in learning how to draw in Doom’s vanilla art style, which is rich coming from someone who is capable of learning how to code and learn how graphics are made.
Well there's your problem. If you want to succeed in something, you gotta invest the effort, even if you were a perfectionist. You gotta start somewhere and improve. What you do is taking the easy route because you aren't willing to invest the effort.
RedDragonCats17 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:00 pm Also, I'm living on my own and I'm working full time. Even if I wanted to learn, I'm unable to invest time into doing so.
So, essentially, you want people to do all the work for you because you self-admittely lack the patience and you are working full time.
I hope you understand how that comes across as.
RKD

Post by RKD »

I mean, it isn't impossible to find people willing to accept commissions for sprites and code, but the only time I've seen that successfully made was in the case of Emmanuelexe (this post and this post). No problem with asking how much people charge for their work in all the stuff you mention to have an idea of the potential budget needed for your project, but it's usually more effective to come and say "I have money" instead "How much do you guys charge?", at least when refering to passion projects from what I've seen.

I'm not a Doom artist, but if I were one, I would at least want to see some maps or concepts done in the project of whoever is contracting first. Or a proper guidelines/to-do list that gives off some sort of professionalism and trustworthiness. It could also help you to ask in other sites as well, so you don't feel stuck with people in just one forum.

In any case, I hope some of these advices be of help to you and good luck with your project! :)
RedDragonCats17

RKD wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:44 pm I mean, it isn't impossible to find people willing to accept commissions for sprites and code, but the only time I've seen that successfully made was in the case of Emmanuelexe (this post and this post). No problem with asking how much people charge for their work in all the stuff you mention to have an idea of the potential budget needed for your project, but it's usually more effective to come and say "I have money" instead "How much do you guys charge?", at least when refering to passion projects from what I've seen.

I'm not a Doom artist, but if I were one, I would at least want to see some maps or concepts done in the project of whoever is contracting first. Or a proper guidelines/to-do list that gives off some sort of professionalism and trustworthiness. It could also help you to ask in other sites as well, so you don't feel stuck with people in just one forum.

In any case, I hope some of these advices be of help to you and good luck with your project! :)
I will consider this advice in my previous posts. I actually do have some sort of progress in one of my mods. The others are in mere documents and I have plenty to commission for those.
RedDragonCats17

Hi guys, I have some more things I want to have prices for, just a couple.

A charging animation for the vanilla BFG. What I'm thinking is that the muzzle draws lights, and eventually make it look like this: , then some focused plasma is emitted on the muzzle, like the Charge Beam from Metroid Prime (https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-11-2015/b_flA1.gif), or the charging plasma pistol from Halo (https://www.techspot.com/articles-info/ ... mage-3.gif).

I also need a price for my Modernized mod's HUD, which is a visor based hud that's similar to Halo's, but it has rotation like the dynamic CATS visor, and Metroid Prime's visor HUD. I've made a document of the HUD here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z_9 ... sp=sharing
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

RedDragonCats17 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:20 pm Hi guys, I have some more things I want to have prices for, just a couple.
The above comments still apply. Its going to be very difficult for you to source these, but you have free sound and texture replacement sites you could try for some apparel details.

What you are asking is not just the animation, but also the assets associated with it + the ZScript/DECORATE code that needs to be there in order for it fulfill what you ask.

Since you yourself give enough reasons why it wouldn't work if you tried it yourself (Lack of patience) the only actual solution is to persevere and study other people's contents, or simply not make these requests at all.

Return to “Requests”