[0.3.1] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [0.2.3] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by Nems »

Understandable. :P Yeah, I turned off the time stop in the meantime. I plan on trying this with other mods so hopefully I won't run into that issue again with other mods if I turn on time stop again. :P Thank you again for this mod. <3

I do have another question since I remembered it this time: is the libtooltipmenu file used with Indestructable the same as the one used for Gun Bonsai or does Gun Bonsai have its own, different libtooltipmenu? I wanted to make sure I didn't need more than one if it's the same file for both mods. :P
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

It's the same file for both mods -- I include it on the download page for both for convenience, but you only need one copy (and indeed if you try loading two copies gzDoom will throw a fit). The whole reason I split it into its own pk3 was so that I didn't have to maintain two copies of the same code (that, and making it available for other modders to use).
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

So I'm not sure if this is a bug or if actually dying while still having lives is possible, but I was playing 2022ADO with this, DoomRLA Monsters, and LegenDoom Lite and a Spider Mastermind went legendary on me. After it went legendary, it got about two hits on me, killing me instead of putting me in an indestructible state. This is despite the fact I had over 30 lives.

Lemme know if you need links to the files if you wanna check it out. I figure I'd bring this up just in case it's not intended behavior. :P
Last edited by Nems on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

It's not intended, but there are some kinds of damage/attacks that bypass Indestructable's death-detection mechanic -- in particular, attacks that ignore armour completely can do this. I suspect that the legendary mastermind gets some kind of armour-ignoring attack and that's what it killed you with.

I really should look into this more and try to come up with a solution that works even on armour-ignoring attacks.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Putting some notes here for future reference:
- DMG_NO_PROTECT skips GetModifiedDamage
- DMG_NO_FACTOR skips ApplyDamageFactor
- DMG_NO_ARMOR both skip AbsorbDamage
- DMG_FORCED skips all of the above
- TakeSpecialDamage is called unconditionally but has to be set on the actor, so I can't use it unless I replace the player actor outright
- WorldThingDamage happens after all the other damage handling, including flagging the actor as dead, so while it's called unconditionally it happens too late to help (unless I want to try to undo all the stuff that Die() does, which sounds very tricky and error-prone)
ToxicFrog

Re: [0.2.5] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by ToxicFrog »

Bugfix release: 0.2.5

This fixes documentation (both the README and in-game) but makes no behavioural changes.
ToxicFrog

Release: 0.2.6

Post by ToxicFrog »

This lets you configure slomo instead of time stop (with three different intensities), if desired. Nems asked for this months ago and I finally got around to it. :) Download it here.

It also removes the external dependency on libtooltipmenu, so if you aren't using Gun Bonsai you can safely delete the libtooltipmenu pk3.
ToxicFrog

Release: 0.2.7

Post by ToxicFrog »

This is a bugfix release that fixes a bug most people either will not have encountered, or will not have noticed if they did encounter it.
AliciaPendragon

Re: [0.2.7] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by AliciaPendragon »

A key part of my load order for most of my ZDLs now

Though the lives gained on boss monster kill doesnt work, its not that much of a dealbreaker since you can set the lives gained from end of level and start.
ToxicFrog

Bugfix release: 0.2.8

Post by ToxicFrog »

AliciaPendragon wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:54 pm A key part of my load order for most of my ZDLs now

Though the lives gained on boss monster kill doesnt work, its not that much of a dealbreaker since you can set the lives gained from end of level and start.
Fixed! Thank you for the bug report, there were actually two different bugs breaking this feature.

And I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
AliciaPendragon

Re: Bugfix release: 0.2.8

ToxicFrog wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:08 pm
AliciaPendragon wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:54 pm A key part of my load order for most of my ZDLs now

Fixed! Thank you for the bug report, there were actually two different bugs breaking this feature.

And I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
Just tested it now and the bug fixes work! And no problem!
AliciaPendragon

Re: [0.2.8] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Have another bug report to report, tho Idk if this is on DRLA or Instructible's end

And it relates to that bug I reported with Gun Bonsai a while back. Turns out Gun Bonsai isnt responsible for it, but if you drop a gun with modpacks attached to it while in the Indestructable state, the modpacks and demonic artifacts on the gun go poof.

Might be worth investigating
PokeParty445
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PokeParty445 »

I ADORE this mod, it makes some intolerable maps for me actually really fun and playable (because I suck lol.)
I do have a suggestion though, I think it'd be great if you could possibly add getting lives after taking a certain amount of damage as a setting in that a person can toggle on to their liking, picking the amount of damage they need to take until they get a life. Like how Gun Bonsai incorporates this mod but without the need for Gun Bonsai! (I usually play this with Gun Bonsai but I think the option would be nice if I wanted that life system without using Gun Bonsai.)
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

AliciaPendragon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:50 am Have another bug report to report, tho Idk if this is on DRLA or Instructible's end

And it relates to that bug I reported with Gun Bonsai a while back. Turns out Gun Bonsai isnt responsible for it, but if you drop a gun with modpacks attached to it while in the Indestructable state, the modpacks and demonic artifacts on the gun go poof.

That's weird, and if it's not caused by GB that would explain why I couldn't get it to trigger in GB. Something worth investigating:
- does it still happen if you set slomo to "1/8 slomo" instead of "stop time"? What if you turn off slomo entirely?
- if you turn off invulnerability?
- if you turn off both?

My completely wild guess here is that it's an incompatibility on DRLA's side with PowerTimeFreeze, in which case both Indestructable and GB's Swiftness power would trigger it, but it wouldn't show up at all for a lot of users of DRLA because not many things use PowerTimeFreezer. In the meantime, I think a workaround is just not to drop weapons while time is stopped if you're using DRLA.
PokeParty445 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:03 pm I ADORE this mod, it makes some intolerable maps for me actually really fun and playable (because I suck lol.)
I do have a suggestion though, I think it'd be great if you could possibly add getting lives after taking a certain amount of damage as a setting in that a person can toggle on to their liking, picking the amount of damage they need to take until they get a life. Like how Gun Bonsai incorporates this mod but without the need for Gun Bonsai! (I usually play this with Gun Bonsai but I think the option would be nice if I wanted that life system without using Gun Bonsai.)
(a) I'm really glad you're enjoying it, and (b) that's a really good suggestion, I should add that.
AliciaPendragon

ToxicFrog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:28 pm
AliciaPendragon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:50 am Have another bug report to report, tho Idk if this is on DRLA or Instructible's end

That's weird, and if it's not caused by GB that would explain why I couldn't get it to trigger in GB. Something worth investigating:
- does it still happen if you set slomo to "1/8 slomo" instead of "stop time"? What if you turn off slomo entirely?
- if you turn off invulnerability?
- if you turn off both?

My completely wild guess here is that it's an incompatibility on DRLA's side with PowerTimeFreeze, in which case both Indestructable and GB's Swiftness power would trigger it, but it wouldn't show up at all for a lot of users of DRLA because not many things use PowerTimeFreezer. In the meantime, I think a workaround is just not to drop weapons while time is stopped if you're using DRLA.
PokeParty445 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:03 pm I ADORE this mod, it makes some intolerable maps for me actually really fun and playable (because I suck lol.)
(a) I'm really glad you're enjoying it, and (b) that's a really good suggestion, I should add that.
I think its a incompability, yeah. I turned slow mo to 1/4 iirc and I dont think invulnurability plays a role in the bug.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”