XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v2.2 Released] New GUI inventory system with full mouse support

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
peewee_RotA

Re: XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v1.4.1 Released] 2 NEW HUBS

Post by peewee_RotA »

The fighter learns a random skill at every 10th level. They are all passive. Two of them happen as you hit monsters with melee attacks, and one of them happens at random when the figher gets hit.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Next level is going a little slower, but I'm still balancing time to work on it regularly. So I expect to be done soon.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Finished that previous map. Had to add to do some custom stuff for a trap. One of the things that slows this down is that all of the hub3's levels have some secrets based on some clues you find along the way, and putting together those portions takes some work.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

So, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=76080#p1226142 is a lot of fun, and I tried playing it with your mod. Apparently the melee weapons you've added don't have the MELEEWEAPON flag set (which apparently doesn't normally matter much) and so the mod gives them ranged weapon powers instead of melee ones. I know it's an intra-mod issue, but it also seems like good future-proofing to flag them right, and *hopefully* should be a relatively small fix to make (assuming these things are handled in any sane way, which, of course, is not a dependable assumption.)
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

DarkkOne wrote:So, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=76080#p1226142 is a lot of fun, and I tried playing it with your mod. Apparently the melee weapons you've added don't have the MELEEWEAPON flag set (which apparently doesn't normally matter much) and so the mod gives them ranged weapon powers instead of melee ones. I know it's an intra-mod issue, but it also seems like good future-proofing to flag them right, and *hopefully* should be a relatively small fix to make (assuming these things are handled in any sane way, which, of course, is not a dependable assumption.)
Thanks for catching that. I'll update them. I also missed the AXEBLOOD flag for the bladed weapons. I'll try to get an update out soon.

EDIT: This will make a difference in the new map pack because some new monsters have avoid melee.
peewee_RotA

Re: XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v1.4.2 Released] 2 NEW HUBS

Post by peewee_RotA »

New release to fix melee weapon flags:

https://github.com/cabbruzzese/xrpg/releases/tag/v1.4.2
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Happy new year. Just giving a quick update. Most of the hub 3 maps are functionally complete but need details added. Finishing things up on the remaining maps and then doing some final passes.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Quick update. I lost my original design paper on the last map for hub 3. Recreating with a different approach. (mazes are boring anyway). But it is a bit of a delay.
Vanille987

Post by Vanille987 »

Never noticed melee weapons being flagged as ranged but thinking about it it would explain some issues. btw hope things go well despite the sudden redesign needed xD
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Vanille987 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:36 pm Never noticed melee weapons being flagged as ranged but thinking about it it would explain some issues. btw hope things go well despite the sudden redesign needed xD
Thanks! Had to go on the back burner for a moment. About to pick it back up.

...and I finally found the original notes!

Lesson learned: Tamper down grandiose plans to have super complex themes that intertwine with poems and puzzles and crap. :D
schkorpio
Operating System Version (Optional): 10
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by schkorpio »

Love the monsters and xp system in this mod. But I also prefer to play with the Tempered Arms mod. Is there any way to keep the weapons from Tempered Arms and still use the rest of this mod? Thanks :)
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

schkorpio wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:14 pm Love the monsters and xp system in this mod. But I also prefer to play with the Tempered Arms mod. Is there any way to keep the weapons from Tempered Arms and still use the rest of this mod? Thanks :)
Thanks. Everything in the mod is pretty tightly coupled. So I don't think it would work 100%. It may be possible to lift and apply just the leveling and spell systems... but some still won't work without more effort. Like berserk and smite which requires changes to the actual weapons. It's probably worth making a generic version of the leveling system that works with any zdoom game... but you'd lose the specific abilities.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

As a general update, I'm working on version 1.5 incorporating pretty much all of the feedback that has not been implemented yet. It mostly amounts to balance. But I may add in some new things in the world to interact with.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

After a bunch of bug fixes here and there, I figured out a good way to implement magic item pickups.

The plan is to redo the dragon bracers to be permanent, and to give players additional options. Beefing damage at later levels was some of the feedback I haven't quite implemented yet, so this will be a way to handle that.

Still working on some ideas, but I plan on having several options for players to choose from.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Probably the 2 most complex fixes are some things that have been bugging me for a while. The wizard spell out of ammo animation and cleric smite lightning spawn failing. They were super complex fixes that took a lot of testing, but they are finally resolved.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”