SoM's GunBonsai Addons and Patches (May 6, 2024)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Exibius
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: SoM's GunBonsai Addons and Patches

Post by Exibius »

No worries man, take your time.
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Updated "Upgrade: Rapid Swing", "Patch: LegenDoom Rapid Fire Fix", and "Patch: DRLA Rapid Fire Fix" to patch a bug causing VM aborts on death! It surprisingly wasn't the cause I thought it was, but still an easy fix.

Edit: Also updated "Patch: Always Weapon Damage" to Version 1.2, correcting an error in the "Percentage Chance" calculation.

Edit 2: Math is hard. Reuploaded "Patch: Always Weapon Damage" because I forgot how to "greater-than or less-than" and got them backwards.
Exibius

Post by Exibius »

stainedofmind wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:38 am Updated "Upgrade: Rapid Swing", "Patch: LegenDoom Rapid Fire Fix", and "Patch: DRLA Rapid Fire Fix" to patch a bug causing VM aborts on death! It surprisingly wasn't the cause I thought it was, but still an easy fix.
Appreciated. If I ever find anything else out of the ordinary, I'll be sure to let you know.
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Added "Patch: Reject Level-Up Settings", which lets you configure the amount of Player and Weapon XP lost when you reject a level up!
Exibius wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:54 pm Appreciated. If I ever find anything else out of the ordinary, I'll be sure to let you know.
You're welcome!
mpcomp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by mpcomp »

Greetings stainedofmind

First things first. Kudos for sharing your ideas/content in regards to gun bonsai with the public at large. Always gives the feeling of receiving birthday present way before the actual date to me at least.

I have an idea for Gun-Bonsai player functionality or rather I have a request for a concept that has been executed in a mod whose name i forgot from days way back which i believe would be QoL improvement for Doom user maps play-throughs using gun-bonsai and I was hoping you might be able to provide this as addon to the gun-bonsai mod.

Basically its a player's quick escape teleporter, that is accessible via a bindable hotkey, where after gaining the player's ability, from player level menu, the player will be able to teleport to map's starting point, where the map begins, using a bindable hotkey coded into gunbonsai control key section.

You can code it at level 1 like 'juggler' with a static Estimated Time to Teleport timer of say 30 seconds after which the player will be teleported to map's starting point

OR

You can code it with amount of levels like "Indestructable" levels where initially the timer values is say 30 seconds and with each increase in level there is a 10 second decrease in timer allowing player to teleport quicker to map's starting point say with level 1 being 30 seconds and level 3 being 10 seconds.

This in-game functionality would beat single player immersion breaking for using noclip to escape toxic pits intended to kill the player. Of course maps that have trigger line events that lock out maps region will still need to be clipped through but most user maps are not that immersion breaking.

EDIT: just remembered the 30 second teleport to map starting point was a bindable hotkey feature of Guncaster mod.

Thank you for reading my post and keep up the good work.

Peace out

mpcomp
Exibius

Post by Exibius »

mpcomp wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 am Basically its a player's quick escape teleporter, that is accessible via a bindable hotkey, where after gaining the player's ability, from player level menu, the player will be able to teleport to map's starting point, where the map begins, using a bindable hotkey coded into gunbonsai control key section.
This sounds exactly like the Phase Device mechanic from DRLA. Just thought it was funny to mention.
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

mpcomp wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 am Greetings stainedofmind

First things first. Kudos for sharing your ideas/content in regards to gun bonsai with the public at large. Always gives the feeling of receiving birthday present way before the actual date to me at least.

I have an idea for Gun-Bonsai player functionality or rather I have a request for a concept that has been executed in a mod whose name i forgot from days way back which i believe would be QoL improvement for Doom user maps play-throughs using gun-bonsai and I was hoping you might be able to provide this as addon to the gun-bonsai mod.

Basically its a player's quick escape teleporter, that is accessible via a bindable hotkey, where after gaining the player's ability, from player level menu, the player will be able to teleport to map's starting point, where the map begins, using a bindable hotkey coded into gunbonsai control key section.

You can code it at level 1 like 'juggler' with a static Estimated Time to Teleport timer of say 30 seconds after which the player will be teleported to map's starting point

OR

You can code it with amount of levels like "Indestructable" levels where initially the timer values is say 30 seconds and with each increase in level there is a 10 second decrease in timer allowing player to teleport quicker to map's starting point say with level 1 being 30 seconds and level 3 being 10 seconds.

This in-game functionality would beat single player immersion breaking for using noclip to escape toxic pits intended to kill the player. Of course maps that have trigger line events that lock out maps region will still need to be clipped through but most user maps are not that immersion breaking.

EDIT: just remembered the 30 second teleport to map starting point was a bindable hotkey feature of Guncaster mod.

Thank you for reading my post and keep up the good work.

Peace out

mpcomp
Sorry for the delayed reply! This is something I could do, even though it wouldn't be an upgrade I'd ever use, since I have the same functionality (minus the delay) built into my Utility Menu mod. I can't promise any kind of timeline on getting it done, but I'll add it to my list of ideas/todos for GB. Mainly, I haven't delved very deep into a satisfactory method of tying an upgrade into a hotkey, but this is something I've been mulling over for unrelated reasons, and something I'd really like to figure out.
DoomThing445
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by DoomThing445 »

Hey! I've come back with another idea-
Maybe a patch that makes only elemental upgrades available?
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Added a new Mini-Addon, "Elemental Upgrades Only"!
DoomThing445 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:20 pm Hey! I've come back with another idea-
Maybe a patch that makes only elemental upgrades available?
Done! Limited testing shows no issues with it.
DoomThing445
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by DoomThing445 »

I have another idea, maybe the ability to change values in alot of player/weapon upgrades? The values changed would only affect them per-level, for personal balancing purposes, of course- like if you want just a little bit of extra damage per level for your weapon, or need to balance things out so player level upgrades are more effective than weapon upgrades-
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Added "Patch: Ammo Leech Compatibility Fix", which modifies how Ammo Leech detects valid ammo types. This should solve a bunch of compatibility problems, ie: Project Brutality, but isn't without it's own issues. See details in OP for more info. Note that this is also a generalized replacement for the Ammo Leech Project Brutality Addon, so...

Removed "Addon: Ammo Leech for Project Brutality", as stated above, it is outdated.
DoomThing445 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:37 am I have another idea, maybe the ability to change values in alot of player/weapon upgrades? The values changed would only affect them per-level, for personal balancing purposes, of course- like if you want just a little bit of extra damage per level for your weapon, or need to balance things out so player level upgrades are more effective than weapon upgrades-
One of my big projects I have on my todo list is what I'm tentatively calling "GunBonsai Configurator", which would involve replacing as much of the hardcoded values in the upgrades with CVars and giving the player a menu to tweak them all. As this would be a fairly massive undertaking, it's rather low on my list at the moment.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”