[Resolved] Autoaim for switch high on wall?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
violgamba
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

[Resolved] Autoaim for switch high on wall?

Post by violgamba »

Is there any possibility of setting up vertical auto-aim to aim for switches that are high up on a wall? I'm making a map for younger people who are still getting used to controls so I disabled up/down look to simplify things for them. Yet the plot of the map includes opening a tall castle drawbridge by firing at switches that are kind of high up. I suppose I could lower them to eye level if there's not an easy way set vertical auto-aim for switches. Just thought I'd ask.
Last edited by violgamba on Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violgamba

Re: Autoaim for switch high on wall?

Post by violgamba »

FYI, my current solution is to make the entire vertical linedef a trigger, not just the official target. This works great, but I'm developing a projectile weapon that would definitely show WHERE the projectile ends up.

This is all pretty finicky, I'm ok if this solution I've got is the best there is.
violgamba

Post by violgamba »

I'm thinking that maybe I could put a thing in front of each target for the autoaim to latch onto. The big question with this is: can you setup a thing so that the autoaim targets it, yet bullets pass through it to whatever is behind?
violgamba

Post by violgamba »

It was pretty obvious, really. I just setup an "enemy" that just sat in front of the target symbol and acted AS the behind-the-scenes target. I would die in one hit and this would trigger the target's logic.

Return to “Mapping”