[v1.1] The Failmage of Finland - Local Cat Mage Obliterates Himself, Foes With Illegal Homemade Magic Spells

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MundyC
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[v1.1] The Failmage of Finland - Local Cat Mage Obliterates Himself, Foes With Illegal Homemade Magic Spells

Post by MundyC »

The Failmage of Finland is a slightly unbalanced, slightly gimmicky Ultimate Doom/Doom II gameplay mod that I made over Spring Break - about nine days? - primarily to refamiliarize myself with GZDoom and DECORATE. It serves as a partial successor to Adventures in Moth Sorcery, another mage-themed gameplay mod I made in 2022.

This mod replaces our boy John Stalvern with a catboy mage named Clarence, who casts messed-up and illegal magic spells he created instead of spells that were approved by the Magic Consulate. He also sucks at casting the spells as they like to backfire on him, and also resorts to regular firearms when angered. Weapons are (mostly) replaced with spell books that teach you surprisingly sadistic spells, which are (mostly) powered by mana instead of ammo. The items and powerups are also replaced with a blend of magic artifacts and random junk that fits their effects. It's definitely one of the gameplay mods of all time!

Download! (v1.1)

This gameplay mod is mostly plug-and-play - the only thing you need to do is bind a secondary fire key. It's also advised to play this mod with mapsets that leave the player and weapons untouched. Think TNT + Plutonia, Hell Revealed, Eternal Doom, and so on. (Though if you're a gameplay modder like me, you probably know this by now.)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Weapon Replacements (Spoilers?):
Spoiler:
Questions and Answers:

Q: Is this a late April's Fools prank?
A: For starters, this was originally posted around April 1st on Doomworld. To answer the question - yeah, kinda! While the release date is intentional and the gameplay mod itself is non-serious in nature, it is a genuine, polished mod with a decent amount of changes. (Well, as polished as a mod developed in nine days can be!)

Q: Why did you follow up your Cacoward-winning total conversion Austrian Avian Association with this shit?
A: Good question!

Q: No, seriously. Why did you make this?
A: To test my abilities, and also to de-rust my GZDoom and Decorate skills. It's been a while since I've properly used both - mid-2022 or so!

Q: Hey, the Knochenhunds/Bonewolves from AAA are in this mod! Are all of your major projects (Darkworld, AAA, AIMS, Failmage) set in the same "Mundyverse?"
A: You'll get the answer in my next Doom project :)

Q: Will you be making another "speed-coded" gameplay mod next year?
A: No.

Q: I foind a bug :((
A: Let me know in the replies. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some, given how more complex and less "tested" the attacks are when compared to AIMS.
Last edited by MundyC on Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron_Dallas
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [v1.0] The Failmage of Finland - Local Cat Mage Obliterates Himself, Foes With Illegal Homemade Magic Spells

Post by Ron_Dallas »

Do it take monsters projectiles from the wad, or they coded into chainsaw replacement?
MundyC

Re: [v1.0] The Failmage of Finland - Local Cat Mage Obliterates Himself, Foes With Illegal Homemade Magic Spells

Post by MundyC »

Ron_Dallas wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:16 pm Do it take monsters projectiles from the wad, or they coded into chainsaw replacement?
The Aether Rift spell does, in fact, borrow the monster projectiles from the WAD instead of using new objects. This could pose a problem if they've been replaced with non-projectile things.

Good catch - I'll work on this when I get around to the next update!
MundyC

Re: [v1.1] The Failmage of Finland - Local Cat Mage Obliterates Himself, Foes With Illegal Homemade Magic Spells

Post by MundyC »

I've just released a new update for this gameplay mod, v1.1. It's a small patch mainly consisting of tweaks, minor additions, and bug fixes.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”